Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

 

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when it bonds with the hemoglobin of the blood and forms carboxyhemoglobin that stops the function that is supposed to carry oxygen to all parts of the body, particularly vital organs such as the lungs, heart, brain and central nervous system. Poisoning will occur when the carbon monoxide restricts oxygen from effectively being transported throughout the bloodstream.  Without oxygen your cardiovascular and nervous systems will be effected and eventually fail. Concentrations of 100 parts per million (ppm) or more can be very harmful to your health.  Most carbon monoxide detectors will detect and alarm from between 100 and 400 ppm. In small amounts, Carbon Monoxide can be considered relatively harmless, however it is cumulative within your body, meaning it can keep building up before it expels from your body and prolonged exposure can make you very sick or can indeed be fatal. It has been documented also that the early onset of coronary heart disease may be attributed to long term low level carbon monoxide poisoning.  It is also known that severe acute levels of carbon monoxide poisoning will trigger a cardiac response from people who are previously unaware they have a heart condition. Interestingly, some experts believe that haunted houses are the result of leaking carbon monoxide and the early stages of acute carbon monoxide poisoning.  The carbon monoxide poisoning causes hallucinations and makes people become delirious, thinking they are seeing ghosts, hearing noises and that the house is haunted! Treatment for Carbon monoxide poisoning usually involves administering 100% oxygen therapy your lungs.  The extra concentration of oxygen assists in getting the required levels to vital organs and tissue and assists your body to expel the build-up of carbon monoxide.  This is done by removing the carbon monoxide from the hemoglobin to assist in the restoration of oxygen through your circulatory system.


Leave a Reply