Carbon Monoxide Symptoms

Carbon Monoxide Symptoms

carbon monoxide symptoms

Carbon monoxide symptoms of poisoning include:

  • Lightheadedness
  • Intermittent headaches
  • Irritation
  • Impatience

In addition;

  • Continuous exposure to even mild levels of carbon monoxide can cause long term damage.
  • People suffering the effects may also be constantly depressed and unreasonably irritable.
  • They may present in a constant state of confusion, though the degree will vary.
  • Forgetfulness is also a potential symptom, wherein the simplest things and the most obvious information are difficult to recall.

These symptoms are important as the ongoing carbon monoxide poisoning may potentially shorten your lifespan.

Some symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, especially the headaches, dizziness, vomiting and confusion are very similar to flu or viral symptoms and may be mistaken for them.  If in doubt or if the symptoms persist for a long period, seek medical advice immediately.

In more severe cases where very high levels of toxicity occur, the following symptoms will appear:

  • Severe headaches
  • Confusion
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Spasms and convulsions
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Death

It is important that you seek immediate medical attention when these signs are present.

Some people are also extra-sensitive to carbon monoxide, including;

  • People with Heart Disease
  • People with Anaemia
  • Young Children
  • Unborn Babies
  • The Elderly

Studies have shown that 500 people die annually from carbon monoxide poisoning in the US, with a further 20,000 people poisoned and many cases of carbon monoxide poisoning goes undetected daily in many other countries, including Australia.  Recent child deaths in the UK and Australia have prompted a more proactive approach to the awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning.

To ensure peace of mind and to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning occurring in your home, install a carbon monoxide detector.  It’s a small investment to keep you and your family safe.


Leave a Reply